Thursday, December 11, 2008

Adventures in Gujurati

Here's an approximation of a Gujurati conversation I attempted to have with some guy who works at the local library in Bhavnagar:

Me: Hi! Do you have English books? [I didn't translate "English" or "books," hoping that he would know at least that much English.]
Male Librarian: Fiction?
Me: Sure. Where?
ML: Well, there are some fees. The first is 40 rupees, that's for some word you've never heard before in your life. The second is some unidentifiable amount. The third is the subscription fee. That's 100 rupees for 12,000 months.
Me: Oh. [...] So, where are the English books?
ML: Downstairs.
Me: Can the books look at me?
ML: [Understanding what I meant] Sure. [Points at a bookshelf in the corner.]
Me: Okay.
Me: [After exploring the entire area around the bookshelf for a flight of stairs and finding nothing] Where?
ML: Over there. [Pointing at the same place.]
Me: [...]
ML: Pant-a-chuck?
Me: [...]
Me: Thanks.

Apparently The Barton Library in Bhavnagar, Gujurat, has English books through the bookshelf in the corner of the main floor.

I wish I had paid a little more attention as a kid when my parents spoke to me in Gujurati.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Niraj,

This is Roger- Kristen's roommate. I'm going to be in India from Dec. 28th to Jan. 25th. I will be in Delhi from Jan. 4th to 14th. The rest of the time I will be in Calcutta. Let me know if our travels overlap- it would be cool to hang out! Peace -R