Monday, December 1, 2008

It's Hot and There's a Cockroach On the Wall

I'm surrounded by mustachioed men. Every other person in the south seems to be sporting one. Also, I've been sort of surprised to find that a lot of younger girls here have short haircuts. Not a big deal, but it's not what one would expect in India (where public hand-holding among couples is still taboo and feminism has a ways to go).
Anyway, I don't have much time, but a really short blog post is better than none at all, so here goes.
Ramoji Film City (the biggest film studio complex in the world) yesterday was okay. It was like a watered-down Universal Studios theme park (I was hoping for a more behind-the-scenes experience). The best part was a ride in which an act of God destroys the park.
This morning we woke up in Hyderabad at 4:30 to make an early flight. Around 5:30, a muezzin called Muslims in the city to prayer, which, in the silence of dawn, is a pretty amazing thing to here echoing throughout a city.
The Hyderabad airport, Indigo airline plane and Bangalore airport were among the cleanest, most modern I've ever been in. I don't think I've ever been in such a clean plane (it looked like it was the maiden voyage). We arrived in Bangalore around 9:00 and found a hotel by around 11:00. The outskirts of the city are beautiful and spread out (unlike the cities we've been in so far), but the traffic is awful.
We're going shopping in a few minutes (Bangalore is known for its sarees).
We're hear for today and tomorrow and then we head to Mysore, then Ooty, a former British hill station. From there we go to my grandparents house, where I'll hopefully have time to write better posts and post more photos. I have to go shopping with my parents.

No comments: