Sunday, December 21, 2008

Maybe it would be easier to count the people who aren't related to me...

My attempts at a blog post have been thwarted by nearly every force imaginable. (Weather, electricity, the Internet itself, family, my intestines.) Sorry.

My parents and I have spent most of the past two weeks either here in Bhavnagar or in nearby Rajkot lounging around and visiting friends and family, so it's not like there's much to have been blogged about anyway. I personally broke two records last Sunday in Rajkot, though: most sets of relatives visited in one day (3) and most independent Abhishek references in one day: (6). (Abhishek count now up to: 14.)

Visiting relatives in India can be a trying experience. Everyone insists that you have at least one meal at their house, which they then proceed to shove down your throat. My dad refused a sweet citing his diabetes and his sister (only half-joking) said they don't have diabetes here. My uncle who also lives in Connecticut and is also here right now told me that when his son was young he was on his own at a relative's house and apparently failed to say no enough times (at least six seems to be the minimum) and so he ate too much and promptly vomited.

Anyway, after the unending carnival of food, we took a bus back to Bhavnagar. The ride was bumpy and I had just gotten sick that morning (two other people on the bus vomitted, both thankfully outside). They were blaring a Bollywood movie that was apparently too long for the four-hour bus ride.

The gist of the movie: Rich fortunate son goes on Australian vacation with friends. Randomly enters and wins bike race to impress girl. Runs down bus (jumps from bridge to land on bus) to ask her out. Man falls in love with girl after one date. Man and girl dance. Dance some more with aborigines (exploitation). Girl gets hit by truck because she's an idiot and didn't look both ways. Man's uncle has time machine. Man travels to future (2050) and finds girl's look alike. Falls in love, again. Dances more, but the dancing is thwarted by a creepy alien overlord.

In two days, we leave for Ahmadabad, the last leg of the second phase of my trip to India (visiting family). We'll be there for about five days and then my parents will fly home and I'll fly on to Delhi for the last phase (vacationing with my friends Ted and Emma), for which I can't wait.

No comments: